Thursday 17 January 2013

Snow,snow,snow????


One of the things I really miss since living in London is the sea. It is a constant kind of slow burning longing that is always present and gets really strong with some triggers, like seagulls and some smells in the wind. The river in London doesn't really do much for me, as it is so flat and dark. The only time I was really taken by the Thames was when I watched  on television the Jubilee parade of so many different vessels, very colourful on the grey water; absolutely breathtaking.
Anyway, my "seasickness" (as in homesickness, not feeling nauseous) gets even worse in the winter for a reason I cannot define. I think because the summer feels so far away, and so does my next proper encounter with the sea. I always think about the summer places-mostly islands- I lived on and the sea throughout the winter and I really get frustrated when I am told that it is really the people I am missing and not the places or the sea. I of course miss the people, in fact it is the people I connect with the most, but I have never been able to convey to anyone that for me it is the place in its own right that I miss, for what it is. The people that are connected to it make it as much as the place makes them. To the extent that when I meet people from a beloved place somewhere else they always seem to me to be lacking a bit of themselves and always the encounter is somewhat disappointing. I think this is the curse of the landscape painter.
The only thing that will help in the winter is a good dose of some snow. We have been promised some for this week, but the first bit was so little and sad it made the seasickness worse. But I do really hope we will get it tomorrow so I can post a snowy photo. I am also wondering how a Northern person might feel without any snow and if they would get "snowsickness". Would be very interesting to hear.



Jubilee River Parade


A sea mobile with fish for Aretousa
(looks more like a pond mobile)

No comments:

Post a Comment